Tuesday, November 19 FIRESafe MARIN will host two wildfire "home hardening" workshops at Embassy Suites in San Rafael.
1PM Workshop for Contractors, Architects, Designers, Handymen
- 1PM-4PM Workshop and Seminar for Building Professionals
- 4PM-5PM Manufacturer Showcase and Live Burn Demo
Recognizing that home-hardening through improved architectural design, ember and ignition resistant material selection, and retrofitting existing buildings are the most important factors in improving home survival during wildfires, FIRESafe MARIN has developed a seminar and training curriculum to introduce building professionals to these concepts.
Taught by experts in the field of building science, home hardening, and wildfire, this seminar is intended for building industry professionals to:
- Train the contractor, handyman, architect, and owner/builder to recognize structural vulnerabilities to wildfires and embers;
- Introduce ignition and ember resistant designs and materials;
- Provide home-hardening and retrofitting resources;
- Encourage building modifications to reduce the likelihood of structural ignitions during wildfires;
- Develop a list of contractors to provide Marin homeowners with access to knowledgeable professionals;
- Meet manufacturers and see ignition resistant and noncombustible building materials.
**Weather permitting, a live fire demonstration will be conducted at 5PM to demonstrate the differences between ordinary and fire-resistant construction.
Homeowners are encouraged to attend the Live burn demonstration at 5PM, and stay for a 2 hour seminar focused on home hardening from the homeowner's perspective.